WHILE WE’RE AT IT
These two panels are so precious to me! There was a Tumblr discussion recently (?) that also mentioned the lack of insight in Ran’s daily life and freetime, which is especially jarring when you consider how much we see of Ran, yet don’t get many opportunities to learn more about her in that regard… Examples:
- Ran’s school life aside from few mentions of exams every now and then
- Ran’s participation in the karate club - remember those few shots we got of Ran while at the club? Sonoko cheering Ran on during tournaments? Araide being a substitute supervisor or something of the school’s basketball team that Ran probably paid attention to at that time? RAN WITH A PONYTAIL THAT ONLY SHOWED UP IN A SPEECH BUBBLE AND BACKGROUND PANEL? Ran chatting with her female club senpai/former captain (Kazumi) who never showed up again?? HEY CAN WE HAVE A CASE WITH RAN AT A TOURNAMENT…. Actually, DCW says she’s the club’s captain, something which I don’t even remember because we never see her in that capacity. I especially liked the cases that focused on (or at least mentioned) her admiration for other martial arts practitioners because that’s something she feels passionate about - like the karate champion who inspired her to take up karate in the first place (Night Baron case, compare it to Shinichi’s Ray Curtis deal) or the former female Judo champion. REMEMBER RAN WATCHING RANDOM KARATE CLUB DORKS MIMICKING WRESTLING MOVES AND EXECUTING THAT ONE MOVE PERFECTLY WHEN CONAN WAS IN DANGER AND CASUALLY CHATTING WITH TAKAGI ABOUT THEM WHILE HE WAS ON THE JOB? (I loved the Takagi/Ran friendly chats a lot.) Ran actually seems quite interested not just in martial arts, but sports in general even if she doesn’t play them: soccer, baseball, wrestling, judo, etc. probably because she can relate to those athlete’s feelings, yet we don’t get to see much aoout what they mean to her personally.
- Speaking of admiration: Ran’s shown looking up to many people in various branches, usually not necessarily because they’re particularly good at what they do or because they’re famous, but because they mean something to her in a personal way. Aside from the ones mentioned above, that includes the accessory designer Fusae (Agasa’s first love whom Ran once met and made a promise with) and the actresses Sharon Vineyard and Yukiko Kudo.
- On the topic of broad interests: There’s also Ran’s musical talent, her interest in handicraft, her language skills (she’s not bad at English). DCW even mentions “Ran also has a very good memory for history, and has used her knowledge to contribute to a case investigation more than once”! I also like the recurring scenes of her great luck at gambling/party games (surely some of that comes down to skill too).
- (Also see the list of me asking for more cases that focus on Ran’s friendships - or on Sonoko in general. I do like how many scenes we’ve been getting of them together, be it on their way home from school or on strolls in their freetime since Sera showed up, and I appreciate that DC manages to show characters casually without necessarily having the case itself focusing on them - but I do wish we had that focus every now and then too.)
(And don’t argue that that’s because DC is told from Conan’s POV because there are plenty of scenes that do not involve him, not to mention that there have been cases where Conan was only called on from a distance, which are a welcome change, but should happen more often.)
oops this post has spiraled out of control
Back to the two panels above: Sera’s involvement in this case seems so random that even Conan wonders what the hell she was doing there, but can we appreciate the implication that Sera and Ran have random chats in their freetime even when they’re not meeting up or not in the company of Sonoko? What are they chatting about? How frequently do they talk? Do they often have these night time chats? How close are they? What are they doing while chatting on the phone? Homework? Housework? DETAILS PLZ MASUMI IS SO PRECIOUS TT___TT (look how upset she is about Ran seemingly ignoring her)